Top Ten Benefits of Fasting
01. Fasting promotes Detoxification
Most of these toxins are stored in fat which is great, because during a fast (especially a prolonged fast - 7 days or more), this toxic fat is used for energy and the toxins are released into the liver, kidneys and other organs to eliminate - which allows these organs to function at a higher capacity.
02. Fasting gives the Digestive System a breakThink of how amazing it is that your body constantly processes food every day and has been doing so since birth. Fasting (even, just for 24 hours) gives your body time to catch up and to use some of the energy for cleansing and repair. The longer you fast the more time your digestive system has to heal itself.
Digestive disorders, which unfortunately are very common in society, can be healed by fasting for as little as 21 days. To think that some people suffer for years with digestive complaints and yet it can be healed in as little as 3 weeks - now that's extraordinary! Whether you have a digestive complaint or not, fasting is a gift you give to yourself even if you're not yet experiencing symptoms - you don’t have to wait for the car to break before you get a tune-up!!!
03. Fasting resolves Inflammatory ResponseStudies show that fasting promotes resolution of inflammatory diseases and allergies.
Many of the clients I have worked with report a disappearance of food and pollen allergies after an extended fast. Inflammatory diseases such as; arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis along with skin conditions such as; psoriasis and eczema are well known to be healed as a result of fasting.
04. Fasting Reduces Blood SugarFasting increases breakdown of glucose so that the body can get energy. It reduces production of insulin. This rests the pancreas. The outcome of fasting is a reduction in blood sugar and healing of the pancreas.
When you fast, fats, composed of transformed fatty acids, are broken down to release glycerol from the gliceride molecules and are converted to glucose.
05. Fasting increases Fat MetabolismThe first response of the body to fasting is to break down glucose stores for energy.
When the store of glucose is exhausted, ketosis begins which is when your body starts to break down any fat stored in your kidney and within muscles to release energy. During this release stem cells are also released and they take the place of damaged or old cells, creating a rejuvenating effect.
06. Fasting corrects High Blood PressureFasting is one of the non-drug methods of reducing blood pressure.
Fasting helps prevent plaque build up within the arteries, therefore reducing the risk of atherosclerosis (which is where fat particles clog the arteries causing high blood pressure).
During fasting, your fear/flight hormones such as adrenaline and noradrenaline are also reduced which keeps the metabolic steady and within limits - the benefit is a reduction in blood pressure.
07. Fasting Promotes Weight lossFasting promotes rapid weight loss. It reduces the store of fats in the body. On an extended water fast the base metabolic rate is increased some 7% which means you will have a better chance of keeping it off as well.
08. Fasting Promotes a Healthy dietIt has been observed that fasting reduces craving for processed foods. It promotes desire for natural foods, especially water and fruits. This is one way fasting promote healthy lifestyle.
09. - Fasting Boosts ImmunitySome people get sick often because of the accumulation of toxicity and the acidic environment that exists, Fasting is the best and fastest way to change this around, preventing future sickness. Elimination of toxins and reduction in fat store also helps the body. When individuals take fruits to break a fast, they increase the body’s store of essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamins A and E are good antioxidants readily available in fruits. They help to boost immunity.
10. - Fasting May Help to Overcome AddictionsFasting can help addicts reduce their cravings for processed foods, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine and other substance abuse. After a water fast typically all the foods that were not that appealing before like mango, watermelon, papaya, dates and even salads are very attractive and can become a major part of your lifestyle because now you want them.